Quote of the Week

"It is with our passions, as it is with fire and water, they are good servants but bad masters"

Aesop

Saturday 22 October 2011

How was it for you?


Don’t make me feel embarrassed to talk about sex!

This is the slogan for a sex positive petition that Brook are currently running to try and get quality Sex and Relationships Education (SRE) into schools throughout the country.

There is also a petition that can be signed, again to help the cause in getting young people the access to quality learning and teaching in this area that they deserve.

So who will sign? Or are we even so terrified of the subject that we cannot even put our name to a cause such as this? Have we become totally intolerant of sex, and totally incapable of holding our hands up to say, “Yes, I like sex. I want sex. I want to talk about sex” whilst at the same time allowing sexually inappropriate messages to convey themselves to children and young people through television, music and appalling clothing for kids.

I don’t know about you but my sex education was crap.
It was crap in school and it was crap through my first experience of penetrative sex. I didn’t know what the hell I was doing, even though I was doing it with a relatively experienced bloke.
I had no idea what a clitoris was let alone where it was. I only knew that somehow and at some time, he was going to stick is dick into my vagina, and it might hurt.

It has taken me years to recover from both experiences. In fact, it is still taking me time to recover from it. Nowadays, whilst I am at least more confident to talk about sex, having experienced the very best sex that one could have, I am still lacking in confidence to be as sexual as I sometimes feel, and I still get embarrassed to ask for sex. I still don’t like doing that, however much my mind, body and soul are crying out for it.
And then I get cross with myself for being such a demanding dimwit.

But I do hope I am no longer embarrassed to talk about sex and will happily do so with anyone who wants to listen.
Sex is vital.
End of.
And we need to get it right NOW before another generation of people are misinformed about the brilliance of it all - unable to be liberated by sex and unable to make wise choices and decisions about sex.
We need to talk about sex now, and we need to do it in a way that ensures young people do not diddle around before they understand what they are doing. We need young people to know that sex is so bloody wonderful there is no point in ‘doing it’ just for the sake of it. There is every point in delaying until they fully appreciate every facet of its wonderment.

So what was your experience of sex education?
The lessons on sex in school occurred about a year after my first period – wonderfully age-appropriate then!
A large reel film was placed in a blackened room where every person passing by knew exactly what we were watching because it was timetabled for the same week each year with the same year group. The boys wandered up and down trying to get a glimpse of what we were watching and for some bizarre reason, this session was delivered by our PE teachers.

I can remember the stifled giggling, and the heads turned away when the baby was popping its head out. I remember the cartoons and the photos of sanitary towels and tampons. I have a vague recollection of the teacher telling us that tampons might be rather difficult to use until the hymen was broken (for fuck’s sake) whilst simultaneously telling us that any girl with their hymen intact was clearly a virgin.
I begged to ask the question whether sticking a Tampax up your fanny therefore made you sexually active but I never had the nerve.
Of course, afterwards it was clear that good girls used sanitary towels whilst the local slappers were all practiced in tampon insertion.
I mean, can you believe this?
The sad thing is that I am not sure that it has changed that much since I was at school.

The other thing that I remember was that either the teacher or the film told us that it was probably better not to go to the toilet too often when we were on a period, or perhaps I have just made that up for I am still sitting here thirty odd years on trying to understand why on earth this advice would have been given.

Like most children and young people, I got to know about sex through conversations with friends and peers. And nobody ever talked to me about delaying sexual activity or what it actually entailed other than penetrative sex. Nobody ever told me about masturbation, and even when I was regularly getting myself off with the corner of a cushion, still I didn’t realise that I was wanking.

I didn’t even know what rape was until I was eighteen, so I wouldn’t have known whether someone was touching me inappropriately other than my common sense. I remember distinctly a couple of boys at school grabbing my arse one day whilst I was on my period, and laughing at the fact that I had a sanitary towel on. I cannot believe that I did not report them for their gross invasion on my privacy. I never did because there was no way that I could talk about it to anyone, and so they got away with it.

I was lucky. It went no further. But I was not and am not the only ill-informed young woman who has endured inappropriate touches and it breaks my heart to think that there are still young people out there who do not understand what is happening to them because we are all still too embarrassed to talk about sex.

But those are the negatives.
What we really should be doing is talking about the positives.

I wish someone had told me what it could be like, so that when I had sex for the first time I would have known that it wasn’t just in my imagination. It really was crap.
I do feel that it is paramount that those who have experienced sex as it should be have a duty to tell the world. If they keep their mouths shut then children, young people and adults are never going to understand or appreciate what they could be getting, could be experiencing.
If you have had decent sex, you should be screaming out about it.
No sex at all is bad. Mediocre sex is probably even worse, especially once you have experienced the best that sex can offer.
Having decent sex is fine but if you have the opportunity for the best sex, then perhaps that is what you should be aiming for, but if you do not know about it because the likes of me have not explained what proper, wonderful sex entails, then how are you ever going to know what you are aiming for?

Magazines like Cosmopolitan have been blamed in the past for providing a distorted view of sex. Critics have said that if you read magazines such as these, it gives the impression that everyone is going at it like bunnies, having the most mind-blowing orgasmic sex and that if you were not having such a brilliant experience then there must be something wrong with you or your relationship.
There was a time when I agreed with the critics. Surely this could not be happening? Surely it was normal to only have sex once a month, if that, once you were in an established relationship. Surely it was normal for the bloke to hump himself into you and cum after four or five quick shoves. Surely it was normal for a woman to just lie there and satisfy her partner without ever worrying about having an orgasm for herself? Well that was what the pillow was for when he took a shower post-coital.

And then I woke up. I then I got it. And then I found Satori.
No wonder I still crave it.

I accept that a large majority of people do not have the type of brilliant sex as outlined in such magazines but that does not mean to say that we should all keep quiet so that the uninitiated feel better. Nobody should suffer mediocre sex. Nobody. I would even go as far as to say it is a right of all to really experience wonderful sex at least once in their lives.
For those of us who have, we need to keep on telling people what they can have. We need to carry on having wonderful sex and we need to make sure that the world knows about it.

As far as young people are concerned, they need to know how brilliant it is too so that they can know what to expect. But it is also important that they know there is no point in starting too soon.
The best sex is a combination of heart, mind and soul.
That is what they should be aspiring too and that is what we should be telling them is possible.

And now – I have guests just arriving. So I will stop talking about sex because that is not on!
Oh when will I be free to be me?

No comments: