Quote of the Week

"It is with our passions, as it is with fire and water, they are good servants but bad masters"

Aesop

Saturday 17 May 2008

Hysteria, stress and knowing your body

I listened to Radio 4 Woman’s hour the other day.

There was an article about a BBC programme where early 20th Century medicinal practice was being discussed. Apparently doctors thought that they could treat a melancholy, hysterical woman by inducing an orgasm with an ominous sounding vibrator. The reason for this course of action was that it was felt that the women were sexually repressed. "Is there something wrong with me?" says the fictional Mrs. Turner. "No, I treat many women with this affliction, known as hysteria." replies the excited doctor."All you require is a gentle massage". At this point, he clearly inserts the vibrator into the woman. Job done and off she goes.

I rather like the idea of purchasing a bunny on prescription from the NHS. Joking aside, it could be economically viable. The growth of depression and stress in our lives, and the squillions spent on Prozax and its equivalents for women is spiralling, possibly uncontrollably. Maybe there is scope in returning to the methodology of the past and sending some of these women down to Ann Summers with a voucher for a dildo? I am being flippant in a sense, but I know from my own experience that there is a significant link between sexual satisfaction and an inner peace. I am not implying that I am so crude as to just see sex as a means of coping with the stress of the world in which I live. Clearly, there are far more pertinent reasons for wanting sex - love, attraction, excitement, sharing, pleasure for pleasures sake. But I am realising, as I become more aware of my body and all its needs, that I am immensely stress free, calm and capable once I have had sex, whether that be with other people or self-inflicted! As much as I enjoy touching myself, and as much as I can even now feel my inner muscles welling up when thinking about sex, there is, of course, no substitute for the real thing. I have been very fortunate to have a range of sexual experiences; sex with a woman and a man, sex with a very beautiful friend, sex on the telephone, sex on my own - but more of that another time.

My point is that yet again, in our closed and visionless society, we are not exploring other possibilities because a certain subject is taboo, and the reality of this issue that some depressive tendencies could be alleviated by thinking outside the box. I admit, I do not like the mysognist undertones of treating Victorian women to make them more receptive to their gentlemen folk but if we push aside this concept to explore the possiblity that there are many sexually repressed women out there, who have not even considered that they are in this state, because our society does not allow them to contemplate such as thought. They could learn to love the sensuality of exploring their own body, of using a battery powered tool to insert into their vaginas to get, not only an orgasm going, but a recognition of what they are about and where all the pieces of the internal jigsaw fit together. How many women that you know really understand the inside of their body? How many have even felt around inside there? How many know that on reaching inside with expectant fingers searching the folds within that you can create your own stimulation that will bring on a cascade of action? Yes - women cum too. I'm just beginning on this journey, and I am slowly realising that my hibernating sexual appetite is more than coming to the forefront, and I love it, embrace it and need it to be stimulated in a range of ways.
So hysteria is treatable! Negative hysteria treated by a positive hysteria. A journey towards sexual recognition. I am on that journey, and I am quite prepared to travel any distance in order to satisfy my desires.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/01/2008_15_fri.shtml
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8pvHTbXxgs dreadful pop/disco song but interesting video!

No comments: